Saturday, February 26, 2011

Orange Kiss-me Cake

First, let me say I have no idea where the name came from.  However, this is one tasty cake, perfect for brunch, dessert or any other time.  It does have raisins and, had I been thinking about it, I might have substituted Craisins (something not available at the time this recipe was created) since I love the cranberry-orange flavor combination. 

Reading this recipe is a bit like reading one long run-on sentence. Grind 1 large orange, pulp, and rind (reserve juice for topping) 1 C raisins and 1/3 C nuts sift 2 C flour 1 tsp soda 1 tsp salt 1 C sugar... 
This is another one of those occasions when reading the entire recipe helps.  You need to reserve 1/3 C of juice for the topping.  Billy, who took charge of the orange portion of this recipe poured the orange pulp, rind, and juice through a wire mesh strainer into a measuring cup.  We had just barely 1/3 C.  I am not sure if you could use OJ for this or not, but I believe you'd need to remove the excess liquid anyway - waste not! 

Finally, I used the topping from the recipe and then I put a cream cheese frosting over that.  Instead, I would probably mix in the cinnamon to the frosting and sprinkle the nuts on top of the frosting.  I would still drizzle the extra orange juice over the hot cake.

No pictures for this one, sorry!

1 comment: