Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pineapple Nut Bread

Continuing in the pineapple theme I actually made this bread a week ago.  It was so dense that it would hurt if you dropped it on your foot, you might actually burn a few calories trying to chew it, and all in all it didn't really have the pineapple flavor I'd hoped for.  I attribute most of this to a single ingredient -1 C of All-Bran (Original).  It and the nuts (I chose walnuts) gave the bread a very nutty flavor.  The density I attribute to the quantity of fiber in the cereal.  Overall, the cereal and nuts really masked the flavor of the pineapple.  All-Bran (according to the bastion of current knowledge Wikipedia) has about 20 different varieties sold in various countries, and not all found in the same country.  I found 3 varities at the grocery store, was entirely confused, and went with the rabbit pellet looking Original.  The All-Bran website touts the benefits of fiber and a single serving (1/2 Cup) contains 10g of fiber.

According to the All-Bran website and several others (although I could not find it anywhere on the USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 - and the USDA DGA did not pop up in my Google search, although you'd think they'd be the first?) the recommended (again not sure by whom, but supposedly the USDA) daily allowance is approximately 25 - 35 grams of fiber.  Apparently most people get about 15g per day.  Doctors and other healthy do-gooders often recommend increasing my fiber intake (I have no idea what my current intake is).  According to the Harvard School of Public Health website, fiber helps lower the risk of all manner of things beyond constipation including, heart disease, diabetes, and diverticular illness.  I'm not sure I'm willing to eat rabbit pellets just yet, but I am willing to increase the fiber and decrease those risks. Whole fruits and veggies, whole grains (see below), and legumes.  Check.

Since the first batch didn't exactly pan out and we ended up tossing about half the loaf, I decided to experiment.  This second recipe I used whole wheat flour, ground flax seed, and pecans.  I got a nice, moist loaf about the consistency of banana bread (and I think I just got another bright idea).  Very tasty, has fiber, won't injure myself if dropped (except maybe in the dive to catch it before it hits the floor). 

(I have a picture, but it refuses to show up. :( ) 

1 comment:

  1. lol, sounds like you are becoming a very advanced cook. Not many people can adapt a recipe for bread and have it turn out. Bread is tricky. I stick to my bread machine. It always has a nice bread, a little dense also, but not too bad.

    ReplyDelete