Thursday, December 30, 2010

The *%(#*&@ Sugar Cookies (Attempt #1)

Any time multiple expletives precede the word cookie in our family we usually know someone is talking about (Great) Aunt Ann's sugar cookie recipe.  The recipe is deceptively easy.  The problem is in the stickiness.  Make the dough, chill the dough, and then the stickiness monsters strike.  The stickiness problem led to my mom and I making these cookies on the back porch around midnight or one o'clock in the morning trying to keep it cold enough (it was like 30 to 40 degrees outside, cold for southern NC) to roll the dough without sticking.  Yes, me in a warm jacket dancing around to keep the motion sensor lights on so we could see; my father upstairs snoring to the rafters oblivious to his crazy family; and general trash-talk back and forth about the *expletive, expletive* cookies that someone (not me) just HAD to make. 

The stickiness problem has plagued my mother and my aunts, probably even my grandma over the years to the point of frustrated refusal to make them ever again.  Aunt Ann checked the recipe and deemed it correct.  I expect I'll have the same problem, but the dough must be conquered! 

Oh and did I mention my lack of patience at rolling dough?  This'll be interesting.

sugar cookie dough

No comments:

Post a Comment