Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chocolate Square Oatmeal Cookies

I can't say that this is a cookie recipe that I will want to make over and over again.  Sorry Grandma, but I think there are slightly better, less touchy, similar recipes out there.  Fortunately I did read the whole recipe (including ingredient quantities) this time.  The ingredients do not mention anything about chocolate.  You actually have to get to the back side of the recipe, before you figure out that you need chocolate squares - yes, I suppose from the title it's a given, but square could also mean the shape of the cookie - and pecan halves, in addition to the chopped pecans. 

I did discover in reading the whole recipe that this is a rolled cookie that must "chill thoroughly".  I took "chill thoroughly" to mean overnight.  I'm honestly not sure that it matters, but if you are going to roll and slice chunks chilling does help.  I think you could just roll 1" balls and flatten to about a 1/4" thickness and bake just as easily.  I suppose slicing helps preserve some roundness, but I'm not Martha Stewart so my roundness had a definite flat edge that had to be re-shaped - you guessed it - by rolling into a ball and flattening.  FYI - for keeping the round shape while chilling MS does suggest putting the dough into glasses or mailing tubes (b/c I have those just lying around).

I think yield is variable depending on the size cookie you want.  The recipe says to roll into a 12-inch long roll.  This makes for about a 3-4" diameter cookie, because there is some definite spread.  I got 25 cookies out of my batch.  Also, because they spread and get thin, temperature and timing is a little on the finicky side.  Doesn't take a whole lot to burn them.

All-in-all not a very exciting baking day, but another recipe tried...


Attempting to cut the dough roll

These cookies spread a lot!! Small(ish) with lots of space



Add a chocolate square to each while still on the cookie sheet


Add a pecan half on top of the chocolate once the chocolate is a little melty (so it'll stick)

All cookies lined up to cool




2 comments:

  1. Those look beautiful. I love the melty chocolate on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really awesome looking cookies! By the way I did find the recipes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete