Sunday, January 23, 2011

Delicious Cream Cookies

The lesson of this recipe is to always read the ENTIRE recipe before starting.  I thought I was doing good reading (and finding, more on that in a minute) the ingredients.  I failed to read the quantity of the ingredients.  Four and a half cups of flour would have been a good clue.  Clearly this recipe was created by someone who needed to give a sugar high to their entire church, school, or mass gathering of every friend ever made.  So far this recipe has made 56 cookies and counting.  That's A LOT of cookies.  And yes, it can probably be halved, although my use of 5th grade math skills and fractions usually fails me. I don't think I'd come up with any difficult fractions, like half of 1 egg, since there are 4. 

The most difficult part of this recipe, oddly enough, is finding the cream.  Yes, there's heavy whipping cream, creamer, soy cream, half and half, buttermilk, milk, cream cheese, creamed corn, etc.  But finding straight-up cream is actually rather difficult.  I conveniently had to go to Whole Foods for coffee, so I decided to check and see if they had such a thing.  My options were Light Cream and Heavy Cream.  Heavy cream is used for whipping, so I opted for "Light" cream.  The label suggested use in my coffee and it indicated that it was good for use in my favorite recipes.  In 20/20 hindsight, I looked up the definition of "cream".  The Food Substitution Bible (FSB) says it's "The luscious milk fat that rises to the top of milk that hasn't been homogenized."  Hrmm, mine is labeled homogenized and pasteurized.  So in the end, mine is still basically coffee creamer.  *sigh* 

Another ingredient of issue was the 1 tsp lemon.  I went out on a limb and guessed that it meant lemon extract.  Turns out I was right. 

Properly defined ingredients or not, the cookies are nice and light with just a hint of lemon flavor. 

Yield: 103

Jeez, you don't put pictures up of a little non-descript cookie and everyone wants to see them.  Sadly (or not depending on who you are) the cookies are all gone, but I did take pictures of the quantity of dough.  I got a little distracted and didn't get pictures of the cookies.


Amount of dough left after 2 dozen cookies

Amount of dough left after 6 dozen cookies

2 comments:

  1. I second that, pictures and a recipe would be wonderful. It is awesome that you are doing this! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete